Laikipia being a cosmopolitan County and largely rural in settlement with a geographical area of 9,462km2 ranks as the 15th largest County in Kenya bt land size. It is among the richest areas of exploitation for its surplus geographical resources and potency.
The existence of its resources both renewable and non-renewable in hand with the mobilization of human resources by the County Government such as:
- 1,038km of the road network to ease accessibility, waste recycling programs to avoid wastage of resources,
- Leasing programs to avail equipment required for projects,
- Resource departments to manage and guide the ways of using,
- Provision of fertilizers, certified seeds, and occasionally pesticides to control armyworms, Quelea birds, locusts, and
- MLND to boost agriculture in complement with constructed storage facilities like kinamba, Sipili, and Mutanga grain storages to improve the lives of farmers among others is a stretch of resources utilization, extracting new means of added support to the County.
The extractive activity of red sand harvesting along riverbeds in Laikipia North excavation of gravel and murram for road construction, and crushing of ballast is a great stronghold for construction and use of concrete blocks in the county. A mineral exploration survey report for 2020 by the County Government revealed that there are some deposits of iron ore in parts of Laikipia which set a big benefit and attraction of investors in the mining industry advantage to the economy of Laikipia County as employment follows.
The large stretches of land, ranches in the county produce high-quality beef stock, embryo transfer for the Boran breed nationally and regionally. The ranches and the neighborhood cluster grazing communities have a functional model allowing vulnerable households to graze on the ranch during drought on agreed terms.
Wildlife, landscapes, unique local cultural practices, Thompson falls proximity to Mt. Kenya, Meru, Aberdare, and Samburu game parks have greatly boosted tourism within the County through the provision of hospitality services to the tourists by more than 90 registered hotels and lodges which seven are classified in the range of 1-5 stars. The annual sports events such as Kuki’s Laikipia games contribute to tourism and cohesion amongst the people in Laikipia.